SaaS Marketing Mix
So you’ve got a company that does software as a service (SaaS) and you’re trying to market your product. What’s the best way to do that? How can you be sure you’ve got the right SaaS marketing strategy? How’s your SaaS marketing mix?
In this guide, we’re going to explore everything you need to know about SaaS marketing, and help you figure out the best way to sell the awesome product that your business has spent so much time and effort developing. Let’s dive in!
What Is SaaS Marketing?
When we’re talking about the basics of SaaS marketing, we’re referring to the practice of promoting software as a service. If you boil it all down, essentially you’re looking at two goals:
- Creating awareness of your product and brand
- Customer acquisition
What Is B2B SaaS Marketing?
B2B SaaS marketing is the process of selling your software to businesses instead of to individual consumers.
When it comes to B2B SaaS marketing strategy, many marketers run into trouble because of two factors.
1. In B2B SaaS marketing, the industry is much smaller than the B2C market, and it is inundated with options. This makes it a highly competitive space. That means your B2B SaaS marketing budget doesn’t go as far.
2. When marketing to large companies, it’s difficult to persuade them to change their software since it takes a good deal of time, money, and effort to implement. Don’t start panicking yet! We’ve got answers for you, just hang on and keep reading.
What Is the SaaS Marketing Mix?
Marketing mix refers to the idea that you shouldn’t “put all your eggs in one basket,” i.e., don’t rely on just one marketing channel to get all your leads. It’s important to think about how to diversify your marketing efforts in order to have the most impact, and it’s equally important to not waste time and money on marketing that doesn’t work for your business. That can be a tricky thing to figure out, especially if you don’t have the tools or time to collect and analyze your data. Finding tech solutions and working with partners who have the marketing intelligence and data you need, and the enthusiasm for digging into numbers, can make the difference with your SaaS marketing mix.
For example, one of our clients needed help with their SEO. During our in-depth audit of their SEO practices, we uncovered some surprising data. They were doing an amazing job of creating content and putting it out onto their website, but it turned out that the content that required the most creation effort (about 35% of their articles) only drove 11% of organic leads. With this data in hand, we were able to help them adjust their marketing mix to focus content efforts on channels that were most likely to drive leads, without the significant time investment.
What are examples of marketing channels? Marketing channels can be anything from a landing page on your website (which we can help you create and optimize) to your social media ads and beyond. It can be easy to get caught up in asking questions like “What are the top 4 digital marketing channels,” instead of focusing on what the right marketing mix for your SaaS company is, and how you can make your marketing spend stretch the furthest.
We work closely with our clients on cross channel strategy to help optimize their paid search spend and help you craft a strategy that will get you to the top of the channels you use to market. We’re able to do this, because we understand what makes SaaS marketing so different from other types of marketing, and how to create a B2B SaaS marketing strategy that will set you apart from the competition. Speaking of what sets SaaS marketing apart…
Why Is SaaS Marketing Different?
SaaS marketing is an interesting space because of the nature of SaaS. We’re dealing with cutting-edge technology companies with tech-focused employees who know that data is king. It’s a very transparent, data-focused, and fast-moving industry. Because of the tech involved, higher-ups are always curious about what data there is and how to leverage it.
Marketers have to keep up with this numbers-based approach. This can be difficult, especially for creatives, which is why our partnerships are so effective. We can help marketers take that treasure trove of data they’re sitting on and turn it into actionable, innovative strategies (and be able to prove within hours what the ROI is).
Not only that, but SaaS marketing has to keep up with the tech, always exploring new approaches and tilting their head to look at it from a different perspective.
How Do SaaS Companies Do Marketing?
There’s a bigger, better question to ask here: how SHOULD SaaS companies do marketing? We’ll take a brief look at how SaaS companies traditionally do marketing, and then talk about how we can take you beyond that. There are a few common ways that SaaS companies market their products. The most common four types of Saas marketing are product trials, content marketing, co-marketing, and referrals. While trial periods and “tell a friend” can be effective, you can’t count on this type of marketing to pay off every time—especially since this is how most SaaS companies market.
So how do you go beyond this? With our help, of course! We’re more than just an “ads agency.” We’re here to partner with you and help you with the insights you need to go beyond traditional SaaS marketing to get transformational results—100% of our clients hit their acquisition goals in 2020.
Our services include:
- Paid Digital Strategies (search, social, etc)
- Predictive Customer Acquisition Modeling
- Customer Journey Mapping and Analysis
- CRM and Platform Integration
- Data Visualization and Dashboarding
- Lead Scoring and Performance Projecting
- Search Engine Optimization
- Landing Page Development and Optimization
- Analytics Cleanup, Tagging, and Analysis
What Is a SaaS Marketing Strategy?
A SaaS marketing strategy is the approach that your team takes to sell your software as a service. A forward-thinking strategy incorporates data and research to grow organic visibility and leads.
One of the best ways to formulate your SaaS marketing strategy is to look at the data you already have. Ask questions like:
- Where are my customers located?
- What are the job positions they are in?
- How long does it take a free trial to convert to a paying customer?
- What time of the year do you see the most conversions?
- What marketing channels am I most successful in?
- What types of marketing don’t generate leads?
Looking at these SaaS marketing insights can help you formulate your marketing strategy and choose the right channels to work in. It’s also important to discuss your SaaS marketing objectives—what are you trying to achieve with your marketing strategy? Stay focused on your overall goal, and make your decisions based on data, not feelings.
Remember that you’re not going to get quality leads from just one channel. You need a multi-channel strategy, with strong tracking and attribution, to get the best results from your SaaS marketing. Another thing to keep in mind is that you will have channels that are low performing, and you will definitely have attempts that simply fail all together. That’s great, and in fact, that’s healthy! Being able to test things out, fail fast, and learn from your failures will help you develop groundbreaking, intelligent strategies.
How Do You Create a Marketing Strategy for SaaS?
The real question to ask is, “What is the BEST way to create a marketing strategy for Saas?” And the answer to that is…you don’t. Or rather, you don’t do it on your own. That’s what we’re here for. Now sure, we could give you some broad tips (which, actually, we already outlined in the previous section), but really, the best use of your time is to let us get in the weeds with the data and give you the actionable insights you need for a transformative partnership approach to your SaaS marketing.
You’re not just looking for more leads, you’re really searching for quality customers. Along with that, you need to understand where those customers are coming from and how to get more of them into the marketing funnel. We bring a data-driven approach to help you predictably scale customer growth.
We use a four-pillar approach (more on that in a moment), paired with an account-based marketing (ABM) digital strategy, AND enhance all of your marketing campaigns with paid ads and data-driven SEO strategies. With the ABM strategy, we’re able to turn leads into engaged prospects by reaching above and beyond generic keyword research to get to your target customers at every stage of their sales journey. Our data-driven approach has had incredible success. In fact, one of our case studies showed a 14.75% increase in qualified leads YoY coming directly from digital ad efforts and an all-time high in closed customers from digital campaign-generated leads.
Our Unique Four-Pillar Approach:
- Persona-Based Targeting: It’s one thing to identify your ideal audiences’ demographics and geographics, but that’s just the starting point for us. We help you take your digital campaigns to the next level by helping you understand and map your customers’ intent, motives, challenges, and goals.
- Paid Digital Marketing Channels: Our team will collaborate with your marketing, sales, and customer success teams to help you target your personas. Our full-funnel paid digital strategy grows with your clients, even as their needs change. Part of our success is the collaboration with our SaaS partner’s marketing, sales, and customer success teams, as we work together to target our ideal clients.
- Predictive Modeling: Okay, here’s the nerdiest part of what we do! Our data analytics and integration team brings the power of predictive modeling to your lead data, delivering intelligent insights into predictable and repeatable revenue streams. We won’t bore you with the technical details, but trust us—it’s really cool!
- Lead Quality Optimization: What’s the point of having a bunch of leads if they don’t close? We don’t think trying to reach an arbitrary quantity of leads is a worthwhile goal, because we don’t want to waste the valuable time of SaaS sales and marketing teams. In fact, we do the opposite. Every step we take is to capture high-quality leads to be delivered to your people—leads that will turn into loyal customers.. Interested in learning more? Check out one of our recent case studies that detail how we helped one of our partners get high quality leads.
Empower Your SaaS Marketing
To stay competitive in the fast-paced B2B SaaS market, you need a marketing strategy that uses the latest technology and data (and one that can scale with you). That’s exactly what we do. Our data-driven approach gives you direct insight into what you can expect from your marketing investment, and how to build your marketing strategy for successful long-term results. We unlock potential by uncovering and optimizing the customer journey. By pairing compelling data-driven strategy with human expertise, we empower marketers to make more informed decisions. Start your journey to a better marketing partner today—we’re looking forward to hearing from you!
Recommended For You
How Do SaaS Companies Generate Leads?
Selling a product or service has changed over the years as customers have become better at identifying sales jargon that is full of empty promises. To stay competitive, companies must reevaluate their SaaS marketing strategy to show they can give every potential prospect exactly what they are l...
What Are The Best Channels for B2B SaaS Marketing?
If you’re here, it’s probably safe to say you know that marketing a SaaS B2B platform is a whole different beast than any other type of marketing. There are generally more buyers involved in the decision-making process. It’s plain tricky to sell someone on something intangible, and there’s a lo...
What is a SaaS Agency?
Every company has its niche and in the world of marketing that’s no different. While some marketing agencies focus exclusively on web design or on specific industries like healthcare, others specialize in marketing software as a service or SaaS. SaaS has a huge market share, with estimates that...